The Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA) is searching for an organizer to assist in the development and support of LCLAA’s chapters. The organizer’s primary focus will be to increase LCLAA’s membership nationwide, help coordinate Chapter work around a national platform, help engage and mobilize our Chapters and members around both Local and National issues of importance to labor and the Latino community.
The Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA) is the leading national organization for Latino(a) workers and their families. LCLAA was born in 1972 out of the need to educate, organize and mobilize Latinos in the labor movement and has expanded its influence to organize Latinos in an effort to impact workers' rights and their influence in the political process. LCLAA represents the interest of more than 2 million Latino workers in both the American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL- CIO), The Change to Win Federation and its associate membership.
Staff will help develop and implement:
- To assist LCLAA chapters with strategic analysis, planning and technical support in such areas as Chapter growth, member recruitment and implementation of action programs including organizing, political and issues action and coalition building programs in their areas.
- To provide support in chapter visibility areas using online tools like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- To work with the LCLAA chapters, LCLAA Officers and Executive Board and National Office in the implementation of programs including: assisting chapters in building community coalitions to support local organizing campaigns, hold town hall meetings and issue forums, providing basic organizing training to enable LCLAA and community members to assist on union campaigns, coordinate Latino media outreach to support those campaigns
- Responsible for the assessment and analysis of Chapter programs, conditions and activities to inform planning and work plans.
- Membership Growth of Chapters and National LCLAA
- Facilitate Two Way Communication between National LCLAA and Local Chapters
- Spread “Best Practices” and ideas that work for all Chapters
- Coordinate the work of National LCLAA with Chapters and vice versa
- Assist LCLAA Chapters to develop their own programs and ensure growth, including the following important components:
- Leadership Development o Membership Growth
- Relations with Unions and Labor Councils
- Relations with Community Groups and Coalitions
- Chapter Fundraising Goals and Methods ￼
- Areas and Issues of Activism
- Chapter strategic planning
- Provide Chapter guidance including accountability meetings
Job Experience/Requirements: ￼
- Must have strong union experience and commitment to the labor movement
- Organizing experience
- Organization building experience Must demonstrate commitment to and understanding of issues affecting Latino working families
- Strong writing and oral communication skills. Bilingual Spanish communication skills a plus
- Computer Literate
- Public Speaking
Candidate must be willing to travel as needed: this is a field position, includes extensive travel to different areas to assist Chapters. Field positions can be based in various areas of the country, at the discretion of LCLAA.
Flexible schedule: evenings and weekends required.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary DOE. Benefits include health, dental, and vision; 403B plan.
You must have all materials requested above in your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
LCLAA is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. LCLAA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or disability. ￼￼￼￼￼